Wednesday, March 14, 2007

My experience

So when I read my pregnancy books, I was not at all prepared for what a miscarriage would be like. I am guessing these books were written mostly by people who have never experienced a miscarriage.

My scare- 8.5 weeks pregnant
I experienced stomach cramps in the afternoon, it felt different than menstrual cramps. The best way I can describe it is that I felt like I might be hungry or have diarrhea later.

I was in the bathroom and noticed something in my underwear. It was about the size and shape of a raisin with strings coming off it. Something similar looking was in the toilet. The color was strange, sort of a grayish purple. It did not look like a blood clot or blood that I had ever seen.

My books said if you experience bleeding with cramping or pass tissue, call your doctor. I called maternity triage and they sent me to the emergency room. The emergency room sent me to triage where I was given an ultrasound. The ultrasound revealed our baby, a normal sized uterus, and a heartbeat. Although shaken up, we were relieved. The doctor advised us this was a threatened miscarriage.

They suspected the bleeding was caused by intercourse 3 days earlier. The lack of bleeding and pain probably made them laugh about me being an overly cautious new mom.

Symptoms in the days proceeding my miscarriage:

  • For approximately 7 days after the threatened miscarriage, I had light spotting. This was not enough to need a panty liner, just enough that at least once a day when I went to the bathroom. I saw a slight amount of blood on the toilet paper. I thought I was irritated from the vaginal ultrasound and that the bleeding was of not enough of a concern to call my doctor.
  • 2 days prior to miscarriage I woke up and noticed my breasts were not sore. Since becoming pregnant, my breasts were very sore every morning. I didn't think much about this until later. The day before I experienced this I had read that breast tenderness subsides in the beginning of the 2nd trimester.
  • The day before my miscarriage I was a raging lunatic. I got very mad at my dog for going farther in the kitchen than he is allowed. This normally bothers me, but I do not normally yell at my dog. I was also weepy and grouchy all day.

Miscarriage-10 weeks pregnant

The day of my miscarriage I did not feel like myself. By midday I developed menstrual like cramps. As the day went on I began spotting again and the cramps kept getting worse. Then my back started hurting. About 2 hours prior to miscarrying, I was in incredible pain. I tried to soak in a hot bath, but it never really helped. I had a heating pad for my back and stomach. I would lay for about 30 seconds on the floor with both pads, then try walking, then try curling up in a ball. I was sweating even though it was about 64 degrees in our house and the ceiling fan was on high. I kept changing positions but nothing helped. Finally, my husband offered to rub my feet and legs. I laid on the floor with my feet on his lap. He massaged me and I was finally able to relax, then I felt something tingle between my legs which made me flinch. When I went to the bathroom about 10 minutes later, the baby was in my underwear with some tissue that was gray.

3 comments:

Christyna said...

I am so sorry. It is such a horrible thing to go through at least you weren't alone. I'll post my story soon enough, I was alone, and most of the day was racing home from North Carolina on Rt 95 refusing to lose it in a rest stop bathroom.

twoweekwait said...

Thank you for sharing your story. I just had a miscarriage and at the same time you did. We too were married five years before trying and it took us a year to concieve. I also saw the heartbeat, etc... *hugs* I'm just starting to read your story but its a comfort during a hard time.

Anonymous said...

Im so sorry for your loss.
Also, thanks for sharing. I'm suffering a miscarriage right now and appreciate your efforts to bring together and understanding through this tragic experience.