Thursday, May 31, 2007

Misleading link made me think

Every day I check cnn.com to see what is going on in the world. I normally ignore the video links but one caught my eye today.
"Morning sickness so bad mom had abortion" When I saw it, I was livid. So many women struggle to get pregnant or miscarry and lose out on that dream to have a child. From the headline, I inferred that this woman couldn't handle the morning sickness that many women get. In my mind I was screaming, "how dare she!" Out of curiosity and because I wanted to rant about how awful this woman was, I clicked on the video. That title said, "Pregnancy Nightmare", which doesn't quite give the same impression as the previous title.

Paula Zahn interviewed this woman who has a rare condition called HG. Apparently her doctor's did not know that this condition was treatable so she felt she had no option other than to abort her baby at 15 weeks. She was throwing us 6 times a day, had lost 14% of her body weight, and was hallucinating. That is a little more serious than the average morning sickness.

I still HATE the idea of abortion. I hate it more now because I saw my ten week old baby, he had arms, legs, and eyes. He was a miniature human. So, although I dislike what this woman did, she felt she had no option because her health was at risk. She still feels incredibly guilty especially since the condition could be treated. She went on to have 2 more children. I can not judge her, because I don't know how I would have acted if I had been in her shoes. That would be one of the most difficult decisions in the world to make. If I could, I would give her a big hug and apologize to her for my snap judgement.

3 comments:

Tina said...

This why I HATE the media now-adays. They distort something like this with a headline, and it makes people jump to conclusions.

In a way, it is a good thing you went on to see the story...you didn't walk away with a preconceived notion of the women - you took the time to learn her story and teach us all something.

Chris said...

Such a sad story, and I must say that you are very compassionate. Stories like that always make me feel lucky to have the problems that I have, and lucky that I don't have some of the problems that others do.

Tiffany said...

That would be awful to go through. and I know we can't say for sure what we would do in that situation, but I'd like to think I'd choose a different path