Thursday, June 14, 2007

Opinion Needed

In a previous post I wondered about working after our baby is born. At the company where M works, they are needing drafters and are always having difficulty keeping that department fully staffed. It is not an area I am trained in, although I would probably be OK at it. It requires knowledge of the computer and attention to detail. The company would train me and I would work in the office until the baby comes and then I would work from home. It would pay about the same as what I make now.

Once the baby is here, I most likely would work during nap times, weekends, or for a couple hours a day once M got home from work. That means that the work day would be pretty broken up. Another option to give me a longer stretch of working time would be to hire a student to come to our house after school to babysit so I could work in the afternoons.

It would sort of give us the best of both worlds. I could stay home with the baby, and have an income. This would not be a long term solution, maybe 2 years or until we have a second child. I have pretty realistic ideas of what it is like having a baby in the house. My mom has owned a daycare for 15 years, and I have spent countless hours working for her. Even while caring for 4 babies at the same time, I was able to fold laundry, sweep floors, and do dishes (usually during nap time). What I don't know is if I would be too distracted taking care of my child to get any work done.

I see advantages and disadvantages to working from home. Has anyone worked from home while caring for a child? What is/was your experience?

6 comments:

chicklet said...

I've never really taken care of kids yet so I'm pretty sure I won't be the multi-tasker you are (folding laundry while attending to 4 kids!), but if you can swing it, that's awesome for you - that income would be a lifesaver for us.

Rachel said...

I must say, any multi-tasking I did was when the kids were asleep. Also, it is probably a little different since I was not the main one responsible for the kids. I only was in charage while my mom ran errands or if she was out of town.

Alice said...

I just wanted to drop a quick comment on how much I'm enjoying your blog. I too had a miscarriage after hearing a heartbeat and am pregnant again. I'll be sure to check in and see how things are going for you. Best of luck!

Leah said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog, it helps to know I'm not alone. I have read some of your posts and I will definitely be back!

As for working from home, it's hard for me. I go into the office 3 days a week, but then work about 2 hours a day on the other 2 days that I am home. I find it difficult to work for 2 reasons -- the first one is that my daughter is a big-time Momma's Girl so she wants to be near/with/on top of me all the time. The other reason is that I am so crazy about her, that I want to be with her all the time too so I can't resist her when she wants to snuggle or play.

I think if you have a baby that is less attached (mine is pretty extreme and has been since the day she was born), or if you have more discipline/willpower, it will work out fine. Your best bet will probably be to hire a Mother's Helper or babysitter to come over if you really need to concentrate, though. Otherwise, you'll surely have a ton of work to do on the 1 day that your baby gets sick or takes a short nap.

Looking forward to reading more on your blog, and to congratulating you when the baby gets here!

Rachel Inbar said...

I've been working from home for 3 years now. It can be a challenge even without a baby - you've got to differentiate between work hours and home hours (e.g., not doing laundry between 9 and 1, etc.) and with a baby thrown into the equation, things get trickier, since you sometimes need to catch up late at night - time that you'd otherwise be spending with your husband (or resting or staring at the tv...)

On the other hand, if you only need to work a few hours a day and your work is flexible (I freelance and periodically turn down projects just because I need a break) then it can be amazing. Once my baby turned 1, I had someone come in for 4 hours twice a week so that I could get some continuous work time.

Michelle said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog!

A friend of mine tried working from home with her baby, without child care. It worked pretty well while he was small and slept a lot, but as he got older, the stretches that she had to do work were smaller and she eventually gave up work as she didn't want to hire a caretaker. However, two other friends both work from home, with in-home child care (one is a nanny share with another friend of hers, the other is more of the student-babysitter model that you described). For both of them, it's worked out really well.

I'm glad to hear that everything went well with your screen. My OB's office also called after mine - to tell me that my iron was low. I was giddy when I found out why, because when I saw their # on the caller ID, I'd assumed the worst.