Friday, July 13, 2007

Books & Reading

When we went to our first counseling session, M brought up that I had been doing a lot of reading on miscarriage, and that it seemed to make me worse instead of better. The counselor suggested that I only do light reading for awhile and see if it helped.


Normally I read about half non-fiction and half fiction. I love to read and always have a book going. I am also a fast reader so I probably read more books than the average person. Since that counseling session I think I have read only fiction, mostly "chic-lit". I think that not reading about pregnancy and miscarriage has helped a lot, they just gave me new ideas of problems I could have or talked about people having many miscarriages. I really hope to never go through this again and reading about a woman who had 9 miscarriages is not comforting. When I have a question about my pregnancy, I google it instead of going to a detailed book, the cuts down on my worry.

When I read, no matter how much I dislike the book, I usually have trouble not finishing it. I always want the author to redeem his or herself by the book getting better at the end. This means that I end up reading many books that I don't really like. The last 2 books I read were pretty good. The first, The Nanny Diaries, was hilarious. There is a little bit of bad language, but not too much that it distracts from the story. The nanny talks about the ridiculous requests and demands made of her while watching the only child of a very wealthy couple. Having helped in my mom's daycare for many years, I can really appreciate how wacky some parents can be. M picked up the book when I left it in the bathroom one day and he is secretly enjoying it too. It will be coming out as a movie later this year.

The last book I read, You Remind Me of Me, starts out a little disjointed but comes together nicely in the end. It is set in the region where I grew up which I found kind of comforting. It was neat when different places were mentioned and I actually knew what the author was talking about. The first few chapters are about different characters at different points in time. Towards the end of the book, it all comes together, although it was a little predictable for me. There is some bad language and drugs are mentioned regularly although they are mentioned in regards to how drugs affected the characters' lives.

1 comment:

chicklet said...

Reading can be dangerous - it's sorta like that out here in the blogland of infertility. I'm learning things that could go wrong that I wish I didn't know, but I'm also more realistic because of it. But yea, there's this weird fine line between how much reading's enough on a subject and how much isn't enough. I still haven't found that line.