Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Biking and pregnancy don't mix

Even though I can't run anymore, I am trying to exercise. I usually walk 1.5-2 miles per day. Yesterday I probably walked more than that running errands around campus. Then last night after supper M and I needed to return some books to the library. He suggested we ride bikes. I figured that would be a good idea since we would get there more quickly than walking and we wouldn't have to burn gas. Besides it is only a little over a mile and it wasn't too hot.

That was a bad idea. Even though I am not showing, the little bit of movement of my legs kept putting pressure on my bladder. I was completely out of breath and we were going so slow that it is amazing my bike stayed upright. I had my GPS with me and the first mile we rode was slower than what I ran a mile in not that long ago. That was kind of depressing.

We dropped off our books, I found a couple new ones and M asked if I was ready to go. I was still winded and had to wait awhile before we could leave again. He suggested riding back home and bringing the Jeep back for me and my bike. I decided that I'd ride back home and if I got too tired I would just walk.

I do not plan to touch my bike for several months, it was just not a fun experience. So if you are pregnant and your husband suggests a bike ride, I suggest you don't go, you will thank me for that advice later.

2 comments:

ultimatejourney said...

Thanks for the advice. When did you have to stop running? I'm just curious because I'd like to keep it up as long as possible.

Rachel said...

I didn't actually have to stop running because I was pregnant. I stopped because I was depressed from my miscarriage. I did continue to run and actually ran some after I was pregnant again but my run club took a break for a couple weeks then I was too depressed to go back. After taking a month off, I tried to run but it was too difficult. I thought it was because I was out of shape but found out it was because I was pregnant.

Before my miscarriage, my OB told me I could run as long as I wanted and felt comfortable as long as I was careful not to get overheated. She was/is a runner and said she was only able to run until her 4th or 5th month.

I think the combination of taking the time off and pregnancy were just too hard on my body. I also gained about 10 pounds between my first pregnancy and the stress eating after my miscarriage. I don't have any trouble walking yet, although I do get tired more easily than I used to and my pace is not as quick.