Thursday, July 12, 2007

Poison Ivy Mystery

I may have solved the mystery of how I got poison ivy. I think it came from our lawn chairs that we loaned M's parents awhile back. When M's sister was in town for graduation, everyone went to the in-law's farm. The chairs have not been used since then.

I started breaking out in the middle of the night Sunday, M started breaking out on the backs of his knees Saturday night. Last time we both broke out with poison ivy, I didn't show signs until a full day after M did. Last Saturday we went to the drive-in Saturday and used the chairs. If it did come from the chairs, it would explain why I don't have it on my legs or arms but I do have the rash on my face, neck, and hands. I was wearing long pants and a long sleeved shirt at the movies. M was wearing shorts. I fell asleep during the movie and kind of turned my head side ways so my face was up against the seat back.

I am not really sure how to clean the chairs. I guess I'll hose them off and let them sit in the sun, but I think it is the oils in the poison ivy plant that cause problems, and that probably won't come off with just water. I am sure there is something out there that will get rid of the oils.

1 comment:

ultimatejourney said...

Wow, great sleuth skills! Those chairs sound very suspicous, indeed. You and J are lucky to have each other to lean on in all of this.