Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Random thoughts

Good morning, I am incredibly sleepy today. I kept having weird dreams, none of which I remember. I pulled the sheets off my side of the bed in my sleep, and I kept waking M up. It is going to be a long day!

I heard this morning the 5th sextuplet in MN died. I feel so awful for those parents. I really hope the 6th one is able to pull through and live. I don't know the family, but I am praying for them anyway.

I watched the beginning of a special about adoption on TV last night. It made me really emotional so I went to bed instead of watching the end. When my brother conceived a child outside of marriage, I really thought they should place the baby for adoption. My brother was 19, his girlfriend 18. I knew their lives would be really hard if they tried to raise the baby. They did meet with an adoption agency, but they did not place the baby. Now I have a 6 year old niece who is beautiful, smart, sweet, funny, and I feel guilty that I ever considered that I might not be a part of her life. Her life would probably be better with different parents though.

When she was 3 months old, her parents broke up. Now they fight all the time. They go to court every 2 or 3 months to fight over custody, visitation, child support, etc. It's terrible! My brother claims he doesn't talk negatively about his ex in front of my niece, I'm not sure if that is true, but I am sure she knows her parents don't like each other. My niece has adjusted well considering, but I still can't help but think her life would be better in a home with two parents who love each other with all their hearts and were ready to become parents.

I am not really sure why I felt compelled to share that, but I guess it was on my mind.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

it is sad. i just found out a friend with three kids is divorcing and i'm so sad for those kids. as a child of divorce though who saw a lot of what your neice probably sees, i can say that kids are resilient and she'll turn out just fine. who knows if things would have been better if she was adopted anyway? at least this way she has her aunt rachel!

Jackie said...

Oh, Rachel, those situations are so difficult. My brother went and continues to go through a very similar situation with my nephew and his ex. It's so hard to bear witness to all that, but the fact is my nephew is a loving, sweet, fun little 6 year old boy and I hope against hope that his life will be OK.

Chris said...

I saw the same special last night, and did watch the whole thing. It was very touching, and very heartbreaking, on a number of levels, all at the same time. I'm glad I saw it.