Thursday, August 2, 2007

A biopsy can hurt!

I saw the dermatologist this morning. She said that my breakout didn't look like typical PUPPS, but that because of when and where I developed symptoms she would do a biopsy to rule it out. She is treating me for folliculitis in the meantime.

I have never had a biopsy before and had no idea what to expect. The doctor used a pen to mark 2 places on my leg. Then the nurse numbed one of them, I asked about the other one but she said the doctor would just do one. The doctor came in and used a tool that was about the size of a pen but worked like a miniature corkscrew. She just turned it into the spot and then took out a round chunk of my skin. It hurt like crazy! I told them that and then looked down and realized she was doing this to the place that wasn't numb. I spoke up and both the doctor and nurse apologized profusely. They numbed the area before doing the stitches. I didn't feel anything on the second biopsy. As they were finishing the stitches I almost passed out and got really light headed. The room started to get dark so I had to lay down for awhile. That had never happened to me before.

The nurse stayed with me until I started feeling better and kept apologizing. I understand that people make mistakes and although I wish it hadn't been on me, I knew she didn't do it on purpose. She was probably going to get chewed out in a minute and me getting upset wasn't going to help. I just told her that I have high pain tolerance and that it felt about like donating blood. It actually hurt a little worse than that, but I didn't want her to be worried the rest of the day.

As for the skin condition, I won't know the results of the biopsy until next week. For now I have a cream to use anywhere it itches and antibiotics to take.

5 comments:

kiLikiNa said...

wow! i really hope you have a high pain tolerance. that sounds really painful. and to do it to you when you're pregnant! please tell them to be careful next time.

Geohde said...

Ouch!

I went to see a dermo once who took the biopsy and then completely forgot to stitch the damn thing. You should see the scar.

Sarah said...

wow, you sure got seen fast, i'm glad you're able to get it taken care of so quickly, aside from the torture.

very nice of you to be so concerned about not wanting the nurse to feel bad.

ultimatejourney said...

Ick, that doesn't sound fun at all. I hope the antibiotics and cream are making the breakout better.

The Town Criers said...

Oy--that sounds terrible! Take it easy this week.