Thursday, September 27, 2007

New Research

According to new research intense exercise can lead to an increased risk of miscarriage. I didn't exercise 7 hours a week with my first pregnancy, but I probably did run 4-5 hours per week. Is that why I lost my baby?

I have not read the journal article yet, I do know that it is always dangerous to take the interpretation of a journal article as gospel so I can't jump to any conclusions yet. My doctor told me it was OK to exercise at the same levels that I had been prior to pregnancy, was she wrong?

4 comments:

SaraS-P said...

I very much doubt that is why you lost your baby. There are many factors not accounted for in any research study. Please don't blame yourself. Reproduction is a fickle and ridiculously complex process.

Rachel said...

No, your doctor wasn't wrong. Your miscarriage was not your fault. Please don't blame yourself. These things just happen. People do much worse things to themselves than keep themselves healthy by exercising and still carry to term. Other people do everything perfectly and still miscarry. Something was clearly not right with the pregnancy, but it was completely beyond your control. You have to believe that or you will make yourself crazy. Plus, it's the truth.

Elizabeth said...

Please don't blame yourself - easier said than done, I guess. It's hard not to have a reason "why."

kiLikiNa said...

I guess in a way, you're still finding a reason for the miscarriage and I think you wouldn't ever know for sure. Like what the rest of the bloggers said, it is truly beyond your control. I took cough medication for my last pregnancy and I miscarried. I've always wondered but I'll never know for sure. And this time when I have the flu, I just stay away from all medications... just in case. But, we'll never know 100%.