Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Butt Kicking

Yes, I do plan to post a picture of the living room. I keep forgetting to download the pictures off the camera, maybe I'll remember tonight.
~~~
Yesterday I saw my OB again. Everything is still going well. The baby is measuring normal, my heart rate is staying consistently normal, I am gaining weight, but not too much. There isn't much more I can ask for. Well, I could ask for a shorter wait at her office. My appointment was at 3:30. When I left at 6:00, I remembered the problem with having the OB with the best reputation in town, she is in very high demand. In the middle of the day yesterday she got called out of the office to deliver a baby who turned out to be quite larger than expected. That put all the appointments behind. She still had 3 patients after I left.

I was a bit frustrated that at 4:15 I still hadn't been seen until I found out why. The nurse went ahead and did my urine sample, blood pressure, and weight. Then I waited for the OB. Her part takes about 2 minutes, but I waited forever, in the the same examining room as 2 weeks ago with the same 2 magazines that were there last time. Normally I take something of my own to read, but I forgot yesterday. I won't make that mistake again. The OB is so nice and apologized profusely. She did seem a bit rushed but thankfully I didn't have any questions this week. I asked her if the baby was measuring large, she said he is still normal but that the measurement isn't totally accurate. I go back in 2 weeks and then weekly until he is born. In 3 weeks I'll have an ultrasound and she should get a better idea of his size then. 5 weeks from now, if he still hasn't arrived, she will do another ultrasound.

On the way home, it was drizzling ever so slightly. We have been in a severe drought for the past 2 months so we needed the moisture. Because most people seem to forget how to drive in the rain, I decided to cut through the neighborhood instead of sitting in the bumper to bumper traffic on the main road. As I was going down a slight hill and around a curve I realized I was going a little too fast. I was going the speed limit, but I am a very cautious driver. When I put my foot on the brakes, they locked up and the steering wheel wouldn't turn. I started a slow slide towards the guard rail. I almost panicked. It was slow motion and I couldn't get the car to respond. I was worried about my seat being too far forward and the air bag hurting the baby. I worried about whether or not the lower part of my seat belt was properly positioned across my waist and not my belly. I was wondering how hard it would hurt when the collision happened, I was worried that if I didn't survive how M would take care of the baby on his own. Then the car finally moved, into the oncoming lane. There was a car coming, but it was far enough away that they could slow down and move over. I was able to regain control and thankfully avoid an accident. I am sure it was only a second or 2, but it felt like 10 minutes. I pulled over on a side street and called M and just sat there crying. I guess the stress of the whole situation just got overwhelming. Thankfully everything is OK. I really feel like an angel was watching out for me. He almost had a similar collision on his way home too, I am glad he is OK.
~~~
In the middle of the night last night M, kicked my butt, literally. He was dreaming he was trying to kick a basketball and he kneed me right in the behind. I'll tell you that is not a fun way to wake up. It wasn't funny at 2:30, but it is pretty funny right now. I'm a little sore, but I'll survive.

4 comments:

niobe said...

I've been in accidents or near-accidents and, like you, have been amazed at how everything seems to happen in sloooow motion.

I'm glad you're all right.

Monica H said...

He kicked you in his dream, too funny. I'm sorry to laugh at your expense.

I'm sorry you had to wait so long for your appt. but glad everything turned out okay.

My husband is a car freak and also races cars and I asked him about your wheels and steering wheel locking up. He said next time that happens, immediately let up on the brakes to alleviate the pressure on the brakes themselves and that should allow you to regain control. Sorry you had such a scare.

mandolyn said...

I'm so glad that you're ok. I can only imagine how scary that must have been!

I'm also glad that you're butt is ok. That's important, too.

Geohde said...

That near-accident sounds terrifying. I'm glad it all turned out for the best. Really glad.

I can't believe how close you are to having this baby already!

J