Friday, October 19, 2007

Wrapping up the Week

I've had several posts going in my head and no chance to get them out. Here are shortened versions of each:

Are you familiar with the hymn, "It is Well With My Soul"? It was written in the 1800s by Horatio Spafford. He owned several pieces of real estate in Chicago and lost all of it during the fire. After the fire, his family decided to take a vacation with famed evangelist Dwight Moody to England. Something came up and Horatio did not join his family on the voyage. A bad storm came about and all 4 of his daughters were lost at sea. One story claims that as the ship he took to join his wife crossed over the site of the storm, he penned that hymn.

M & K had this song at J's memorial service. It was the first time the words really hit me. When I needed comfort after losing our baby, I often thought of this song and wondered when everything would be well with my soul.

K is a very creative type and extremely artistic and talented. On Sunday she gave me a present. It was a framed version of this hymn along with a dedication to our lost baby. It is beautiful. It was such a sweet gesture. She had intended to give it to us on his due date, but it didn't happen. Today things are definitely better with my soul than they were 7 months ago. I still have my days, but I am getting better.

~~~~

On Tuesday as I pulled into the driveway from class, I noticed the TV was on. I was upset that M was watching TV when there is so much that needs to be done around the house. When I walked in the door, he was in the process of folding laundry. He had also fixed the drippy faucet in the bathroom, cleaned the bathroom, and replaced the shower head. He had done the dishes, AND he put another coat of paint on the baby's dresser. I gotta love having a husband that not only does stuff around the house, he goes out of his way to do stuff for me.

~~~~
Sunday is my shower. I have managed not to check my registry since I posted that I had been looking at it. I think it will be fun. C (one of my closet friends) won't be there, but several other friends will be. M plans to paint the baby's room tomorrow morning and get the crib set up. Once that is done, we will have the room ready for shower presents.

My mom and sisters live too far away to make it to the shower which is kind of disappointing. I told them about it anyway on the off chance they might find a cheap plane ticket. My mother in law will be there though. This will be really out of her element so I think it is special she is coming. She won't know anyone there except me (and a friend of hers who may or may not be coming). She generally doesn't like hanging around groups of other women either, and she is not the type to coo over baby things. I think she will enjoy seeing others who are excited about her first grandchild though.

Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

Geohde said...

Enjoy your shower :)

J

Monica H said...

I think it's kind of nice that your MIL will be at your shower this weekend. Like you said, she will be out of her element and she doesn't coo at baby things, but know that she is doing this for you and her grandchild, even if she is uncomfortable. That's pretty special.

If you'd like to share, we'd love to see pics of the nursery :)

kiLikiNa said...

Enjoy your shower. It is so nice that you have such things over there. Over here, we just wait until the baby is 1 month old before we have the full moon party for the baby.