Wednesday, December 15, 2010

God's Plans

“'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me and I will listen to you.'" Jeremiah 29:11-12

My sweet cousin was 9 or 10 weeks pregnant and lost her baby today. My heart is aching for her! Until the last year I didn't really know her, she is a few years younger and we grew up 1000 miles apart. Now we have children just a couple weeks apart in age and have developed a relationship talking to each other about them.

We don't always know God's plans for our lives, but he does have a plan. Maybe God allowed me to lose my baby so that I could support my cousin. It has been almost 4 years since my baby died and I am at a place where I can talk about my experience easily. I am praying for my cousin & her husband they can find healing and comfort during this difficult time.

3 comments:

Monica H said...

Oh Rachel, I'm sorry to hear that. My thoughts are with them.

Brandy said...

It truly is a horrible place to be, and sadly you know just the pain she will be feeling, as you've walked down this road yourself. But it's also a good thing because you can be there for her in ways no one else can be and that is a blessing. I went through my miscarriage only to have my SIL go through one about eight months later. I never understood why I lost my first pregnancy but found comfort in knowing I could be a help to others. My best thoughts are with your cousin.

Jhene said...

Thanks so much for bringing attention to the topic of miscarriage. I am so very sorry for your loss and for the grief your cousin is now feeling. After my own experiences I needed to believe that the world was different in a positive way because of the losses. I was driven to create something that would not have existed had I not miscarried. A filmmaker by trade, what resulted is a ten-minute short film The House I Keep, about a woman who struggles to come to terms with the loss of her baby through miscarriage. A relentless war between her internal and external life has plagued her recovery until she stumbles upon a curious symbol of hope that helps lead her back to peace.

After screenings of The House I Keep, I have been overwhelmed by the heartbreaking stories of miscarriage that women have felt compelled to share. These gatherings became transformative. Discussing the film has provided an 'appropriate’ place to share their own stories. Their silence was broken and isolation bridged. My mission for the film is to improve the mental health of women and their families mourning miscarriage by providing an identifiable voice through the film. The film is a platform for discussion and understanding, and hence, an impetus for healing.

With the film now complete, and ready to premiere in 2011, we are doing everything we can to raise awareness about the topic of miscarriage and our film. Please visit our website at http://www.thehouseikeep.com for more detailed information about the film. If you like what you see, please join us on facebook at http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-House-I-Keep/69409738707. Anything you can do to help us spread the word is, of course, very much appreciated!

Very best,
Jhene Erwin
Producer/Co-Director/Writer – The House I Keep